2 (3 1/2-ounce) bags boil-in-bag brown rice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
8 ounces presliced button mushrooms
8 ounces skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (12-ounce) bag microwave-in-bag fresh broccoli florets
1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 3/4 cup)
1. Preheat broiler to high. Cook rice according to package directions; drain.
2. While rice cooks, heat a large 12-inch ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion, mushrooms, and chicken; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Sauté 6 minutes or until chicken and onion are done.
3. Cook broccoli in microwave according to package directions for 3 minutes. Open package to release steam.
4. Combine milk and flour, stirring with a whisk or fork until smooth.
5. Stir milk mixture into chicken mixture in skillet.
6. Cook 2 minutes or until bubbly and thick, stirring frequently.
7. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, rice, and broccoli. Sprinkle with cheese.
8. Broil 1 minute or until cheese melts and just begins to brown.
Riff: Try ground beef in place of the chicken.
Riff: Not a fan of broccoli? Try cauliflower, spinach, green peas, carrots, or green beans instead.
Riff: In place of rice, use 3 cups cooked quinoa (1 cup uncooked).
Cooking Light DT